The following 5 rules are important rules for the workplace in order to have effective communication:
- When in doubt, Overcommunicate - It is important to repeat messages for clarity, if they are important.
- Use Multiple Channels - For important messages, sending them in several ways is helpful. Such as by e-mail, written annoncement and a verbal reminder.
- Think Like a Journalist - Make sure your messages answer the questions who?, what?, when?, where?, how? and why? (espescially when policy's are being changed in the workplace).
- Be Audience Focused - Always review your e-mails and messages from an audience's perspective before sending them to the receiver.
- Be Authentic - "Say what you mean, mean what you say". If you want your mesaage to get across effectively, you must have a good record of openness and honesty